Home Made Penang Loh Mee
Home Style Penang Loh Mee
Loh Mee, is a famous dish in small island of Penang. It is basically a hawker noodle dish that has gooey broth made using tapioca flour and beaten egg. The normal ingredients include egg noodles, rice noodles, bean sprouts, slices of boiled egg, garnished with fragrant golden-fried onions, topped with boiled pork (or chicken) pieces, and served with vinegared garlic pastes and chilli. Some hawker stalls may also include chicken feet, and some fish ball. I would normally cook the gooey broth at night and leave it overnight with some boiled egg, so that the egg will have some texture and taste to it. It is one of my favourite food and below are the Penang Loh Mee recipe.
1. Boiled 700 ml of water and add 1 cube of pork stock – stir
2. Add 1 star anise if you have one.
3. Add 2 teaspoon of garlic. If you prefer a fresher choice, smashed some garlic cloves and add it in. I use the below choice.
4. Add 2 1/2 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce and stir
5. Add 3 1/2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
6. Add 1/2 tablespoon of 5 spices powder for it’s aromatic flavor.
7. Add 1/2 teaspoon of prawn sambal (optional)
8. Use 2-3 mushroom for this dish. Washed the mushrooms, then deep in half small bowl of water. Once soft, slice it up and add into the soup. Pour quarter of the water from the bowl into the soup for taste.
9. Bring the soup to boil and add in prawns and fish balls.
10. This step is to thicken the soup and make it gooey. First, fill up half a small bowl with water and add 7 tablespoon of tapioca flour and mix until it’s like a soft watery paste. You may need 8 tablespoon but it depends on how gooey you want it.
11. Slowly pour the tapioca mix into the soup while stiring it. The soup will get thicken. If you prefer more gooey, then just add another tablespoon of tapioca starch into the water and mix, then only pour into the soup.
12. Bring it to boil again, and close the fire once boil.
13. Crack and egg or 2 and stir in small bowl. Pour in the egg slowly while stiring the soup slowly. Now your gooey soup (Loh) should look like below picture.
14. Place noodle on bowl, pour in soup base. Add another teaspoon of diced garlic mixed with vinegar and some prawn sambal.
15. sprinkle some fried onion on top to taste